Should LGBTQ+ Classes be Offered in Schools??

High schools should offer a LGBTQ+ class that they are able to take for a semester.

Now you’re probably wondering why something like this is needed and is it even that important. But with this class offer in schools it would help to educate students about the community. 

What were you taught in the class? In the class the teacher could focus and talk about the flags’ meanings and the multiple sexualities and what all the letters mean in LGBTQ+ and so much more. 

There are many teens this day in age that are unsure about how they identify and don’t understand their feelings because of the lack of information about the topic. In certain communities teens aren’t allowed to express themselves so they go to the internet for answers which isn’t always a valid source of information. But with a class being in school students can get an accurate and safe source of information.

“I think we should have the class because it normalize and possible protect LGBT+ youth,” says Emily a student at st.James High school. 

For youth to thrive in schools and communities, they need to feel socially, emotionally, and physically safe and supported. Compared with other students members of the LGBT are more likely to experience violence and cause various mental health problems. According to the 2015 YRBS, LGBT students were 140% (12% v. 5%) more likely to not go to school at least one day during the 30 days prior to the survey because of safety concerns, compared with heterosexual students. But with creating a safe place at school they will be more likely to enjoy the school environment. 

“But as a parent I would be more concerned about my kid taking the class and a target being put on their back but people who are homophica and choose not to understand, you gotta worry about stuff with that,” says Christina Leslie. 

Bullying should be prevented in schools to promote respect for all students which will create an open environment where people are allowed to express themselves. Having a safe environment for young teens will make them feel expected and not like and outcasted. With certain schools offering religious classes like bible class there should be more alteravent opinions for the other large communities of people that make up a large percentage of youth. 

A step that should be taken to create a safe space is a club. The creation of a safe classroom that any student can go to for self expression would help so many teens be comfortable in schools today.