The Invasion Of Ukraine

On Thursday February 24, 2022, Russia launched a large-scale invasion of Ukraine, marking a major escalation of the ongoing Russo-Ukrainian War. The campaign was preceded by a prolonged Russian military buildup since early 2021, and demands by Russia to legally prohibit Ukraine from joining NATO.

In the days leading up to the invasion, Russia recognized the Donetsk People’s Republic and the Luhansk People’s Republic.

Since Ukraine is 7 hours ahead of U.S time-zone, At around 03:00 UTC (06:00 Moscow time) on Last night, Russian president Vladimir Putin announced a military operation in eastern Ukraine,minutes later, missile strikes began at locations across the country, including Ukraine’s capital Kyiv. The Ukrainian Border Service stated that its border posts with Russia and Belarus were attacked. Ground forces entered around two hours later.

Video captured Russian troops entering Ukraine from Russian-annexed Crimea. US senator Marco Rubio, the ranking member of the Intelligence Committee, claimed that Russia’s initial objectives were to establish air superiority, launch a pincer movement from Belarus and Crimea to cut off Ukrainian ground forces in the east from Kyiv, and decapitate the Ukrainian government via attacks on buildings, leaders, and command and control systems.

According to Ukrainian Minister of State Anton Herashchenko just after 06:30, Russian forces were invading via land near the city of Kharkiv and large-scale amphibious landings were reported at the city of Mariupol. At 07:40, the BBC cited other sources in saying that troops were also entering the country from Belarus, The Ukrainian Border Force reported attacks on sites in Luhansk, Sumy, Kharkiv, Chernihiv and Zhytomyr, as well as from Crimea. The Russian Ministry of Defense claimed no resistance by Ukrainian border forces.

• “I think it’s been a while since something major has happened before, which like is really shocking not only to Ukraine but also people around the world like the U.S, I also think the war might also be like World war 3 because the United States might get involved.” – Adamariz Son, Student at St. James High School
  • “In my opinion this could’ve been resolved before attacking. I just hope that the United States won’t get involved because from there it will turn into something bigger that doesn’t need to be.”- Bri, Student at St. James High School
  • “President Putin has chosen a premeditated war that will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.”- European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen

We will have to wait for further information about the invasion and what will happen next for Ukraine as well as what the U.S will do.